In case you are wondering why I write this blog, go HERE

3.17.2011

All is well...

Surgery day started bright and early. To my surprise, 2 of my favorite little people were awake too {they SHOULD have been in bed, it was 5am!} BUT, I was glad to see their cute little faces and tell them 'BYE' before I left.
The only benefit to being awake and on the road at 5:30am-Ummmm... nothing!


We got to the hospital, checked in and waited to be called to the pre-op area
They called my name and took me back.
It was time to get all ready: sign a few papers, change into the "HOT" hospital gown, meet the docs and get the IV started.

They left this out for me to wear and I left it off for a reason...

Waiting...
Happy and ready to go!
Dr. Klein came in, asked me which leg he was operating on, I told him and he marked it up.
Yes, THAT one:

The anesthesiologist came in to talk about risks and all that fun stuff. He offered to give me a femoral nerve block {which is basically like an epidural in your leg to help with pain post surgery} and I opted to get it. As he was getting everything ready, it ALL hit me and became more "real." It was at that point that I was trying to hold back tears because again, I missed my Ry. I took a deep breath and tried my hardest to be strong.

Before I knew it, they were wheeling me into the surgery room and asking me to move onto the surgery table. The last thing I remember is some lady telling me to breath oxygen from the mask...

Surgery went very well and I was home by 12pm that day. The pain wasn't bad at all, but the nauseousness was horrible. I was really tired and every time I started to drift off, I woke up because I wanted to throw up. The few times I did get up, I got really sick. Finally, by 6pm the nausea wore off and I felt 100% better.

Since coming home, I set this:

and spend much of the day {like 6-8 hours} in THIS machine
so my leg can constantly bend up and down to help with ROM {range of motion}

The day after surgery, I went to the Dr to get all my dressings taken off:
Dr K said everything is looking pretty good, that I need to work on fully extending my leg and that I can't get the incisions wet for 2 weeks :( I FINALLY took my first bath yesterday and it was WONDERFUL!

More pix of the swollen leg

another view for comparison sake

On to the good news...
I've been doing so well, that I actually upgraded my means of transportation.
Since I am now walking, I was able to ditch the crutches for this:
Ya, BE JEALOUS!

It has been great having my parents here. My dad has done a wonderful job keeping the kids happy and entertained and my mom is the best nurse EVER! I am so lucky to have them here because they are so much help!

All is well Babe...
I couldn't have asked for a smoother recovery.

~Love YOU tons~
Photobucket

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Margie! I probably would have peed my pants at the thought of surgery, lol! But you did great. So glad you have your parents there to help. Hope it continues to go well! Love ya girl!

Stacey Mom said...

I still read your blog and keep up with your family. I'm one of Ryans friends from HS, we sang in Singcopation together. I think of Ryan and you often and my life is different because of your experience. I try harder to treasure moments and love the people around me. I so appreciate your insights and sharing what you have gone and are going through. You are one tough woman and I admire your faith and strength and testimony. Take care, I hope you heal quickly!

Erin S said...

Oh wow, Margie, I can't believe how swollen your leg was. Hope you are doing good!

Mike & Lila Family said...

i'm a little behind in my blog reading so I'm so sad to hear your busted your knee playing soccer (hmm... i'm going to put my own recent thoughts of joining the local adult league on hold now thank you. lol). I am so glad the surgery went well and that you will be up and chasing those little ones in no time. we are thinking of you! :)

renhallows said...

That is one sexy knee. I am glad it all went so well. Hope to see you at soccer next week. (: