In case you are wondering why I write this blog, go HERE

3.20.2011

*31st* Birthday Celebrations...

What a fun-filled day...

It began with the kids opening gifts
We were going to BUILD-a-BEAR!

{Before Ryan passed away, some very sweet friends gave Ryan 3 Build-a-Bear voice recorders so he could leave messages for us. Along with those recorders, they also gave us a gift card so we could get animals for those recorders to go inside. After returning from the funeral in Wyoming, I took the kids to B-a-B to get our animals. I couldn't WAIT to hear the messages Ryan had left for each of us! Needless to say, the kids sleep with their animals EVERY night and go to sleep hearing Ryan tell them how much he loves them}

The kids were SO excited to go to B-a-B. Hallie got two VERY pink clothing items for Rainbow {her unicorn that has eyes "JUST like Daddy,"as she says}. Max on the other hand wanted NOTHING to do with the clothes. He walked away with a pair of skis/poles, roller skates and a fishing pole with magnetic fish for Fluffy {the panda}.
*So fun*

Once we finished there, it was time to head off to the Ostrich Farm.
If you are from the Tucson or surrounding area, pay a visit to the Ostrich Farm. It's rather inexpensive and fun for ALL ages.

BEWARE
...and boy, they DO! Max found out the hard way :(

Here are some of the animals you can see/feed at the farm:
{UGLY} Ostriches

{Cute} deer and donkeys
&
{Crazy} goats and lorikeet
Food for the animals:

EVERY time I see Max's face in the following picture, I can't help but laugh...
PRICELESS
{these birds may look cute and friendly, but they are kinda crazy lil' birds. They peck at one another if one comes too close to getting some food and if you try to shoo them away, they have no problems taking a peck at YOU- Watch OUT!}
Your mom enjoying the Lorikeet love
**
Once we fed all the animals, we headed off to the "Peanut Butter place":
I know this probably wasn't your FAVORITE place to eat, but this was a place you very much enjoyed- my country boy definitely loved his STEAK and potatoes :)
The peanuts that make Texas Roadhouse the "peanut butter place," the YUMMY rolls and your FAVORITE steak sauce:
*
We finished up at Texas Roadhouse and headed to the store for some balloons.
{At the burial in Wyoming, we had over 2 dozen balloons family wrote messages on so we could send them off to you} Since then, for major holidays/events we have continued the same tradition...
Heavenly messages...
~Love YOU~
*
We let the kids pick out a movie and had MOVIE NIGHT. A tradition that you started with the family that we have continued {and LOVE} every week.
Watching 'Around the World in 80 Days'
*
Although it was NOT my birthday, I received some very thoughtful gifts:
Several family members wrote me letters about YOU- what a wonderful {and cherished} present to receive. In those letters they talked about you, your example and the inspiration you have been and will continue to be. Then, we had a wonderful surprise at the door with an Edible Arrangements from your siblings. Such thoughtful and DELSIH gifts
Thank YOU guys for thinking of us on Ry's day!
*
Your birthday stuff on display:

It was now time for some CAKE :)
"Happy Birthday to YOU
Happy Birthday to YOU
Happy Birthday DEAR Ryan/Daddy
Happy BIRTHDAY to you"

After we ate some cake, we opened the smaller part of your birthday gift:

a new, shiny key ring for your truck keys.
The rest of your present wouldn't be coming for another 2 weeks....

Part of your Birthday morning was spent taking the truck in to get an estimate of how much all the internal repairs would cost- Oh, just a few THOUSAND dollars :( Sadly, that is only about 1/3 of what needs to be done to get it all hot-roded out. Fixing up this truck is going to be quite time consuming and quite expensive, but DEFINITELY worth it!
So, I decided that for every Birthday/Christmas you will get something for the truck. I was so lost on where to start, but thought I would begin with replacing THIS:
It was time for this very sad, little mirror to GO. It would NEVER stay up and when it was in the correct position, it was so blurry you couldn't even see out it. It was pretty much useless!

After much waiting, we heard a ring at the doorbell to find this waiting for us:

{I only took a picture of the "popcorn" because I spent the next week finding it ALL over the house- SUPER fun!}
So, I go to install your mirror and the two parts don't fit together- one of the parts was too big. Why in the world would they send you parts that DON'T fit together. {I was just a tad annoyed} What the hek was I gonna do?

Hmmmmmmmm....
I knew I could call our good friend who is quite the do-it yourself handyman kinda guy. But I call with questions all the time and didn't want to annoy him with a "can you fix this for me?!?"

Shoot. WHAT TO DO?

THEN, I remembered about this:
YOUR Dremel.
{I was pretty sure a Dremel could sand down different materials}

When you were in remission, you had gone to the store and picked up this:
A 75 pc set for your Dremel.
I remember when you told me that you were going to buy it, I said, "OK" but inside thought, "Do YOU really need this?!?!?!"

Well, let me TELL YOU... I am sure glad you bought it!

I looked in the little manual to see what bit I needed to sand down metal.
FOUND IT:
SweeeeeeeeT!!!!

But THEN, I couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out how to remove the bit.
So whenever I don't know the answer/how to do something, I turn to Google.

I really do {heart} GOOGLE
Seriously, what would I do without it?!?

All ready to go:
and after about a good 30 minutes of sanding and re-fitting

It FINALLY fits:
Woot woot!

My little "helpers"

The first part of the installation

The second {and MAIN} part of the installation

YAY to a job WELL done


We LOVE it...
Hope you like it too!

***Happy Birthday My LOVE***
Thank you for blessing this world for 30 wonderful years

I hope everyday is a celebration for you, because YOU definitely deserve it.
Photobucket
{P.S.- I had to put some of your favorite songs to accompany this post :) }

10 comments:

Ryanne said...

Margie, what a wonderful way to spend Ryan's birthday as a family. You are such a wonderful mom to your kiddos.

Heather said...

That is neat. I remember him loving Counting Crows.=) You are a great mom!

Unknown said...

So fun! And I love that his parents were with you to celebrate.

Also, I want you to know that I check your blog (both of them) every day just in case there is something new. Only takes a sec a day but worth it cause your posts are so neat to read! Thanks for sharing!

Seth and Julie said...

First of all, I am so happy to see you recovering nicely from your surgery! You are in my prayers. Now I just need to pick up a phone and CALL you.

This post was beautiful. I loved seeing you celebrate Ryan's birthday with the kiddos and his parents. It made my bawl, because it is so bittersweet, but it really does NEED to be celebrated. That day will always commemorate a day when an amazing man came into this world. Thanks for sharing the celebration of his life.

Cheryl said...

This is so great. Your children are so lucky to have you. I love that you celebrate Ryans birthday with them. AND that you worked that Dremel!

Happy Birthday Ryan.

Unknown said...

Oh and I was going to tell you that we have movie night every week too! I love it. It's so fun and the kids are always looking forward to it cause they get to stay up late and sleep downstairs. I am glad you guys do it too, it's a wonderful tradition =c)

Erin S said...

What a great way to spend Ryan's birthday. I'm glad his parents were there. Love that mirror you installed! Way to be handy!

Talia said...

Margie- You are amazing. I love that you still have Ryan in your life, in every day and every way. You are blessed, and your children will reap the benefits of having you as a mother for the rest of their lives. God bless all of you.

webster said...

You are crazy, love it! AND I soooo know who Max was feeling! erks me out just thinking about it!

Mike & Lila Family said...

i am totally grining at your whole post but the chevy shaped mirror... cherry on top! :)