In case you are wondering why I write this blog, go HERE

11.11.2010

Again...

Don't you just love them?
...the shoes ;)

These babies got me through 13.1 sometimes fun, sometimes not so fun miles. Thank you for showing me that good shoes DO make a difference.
♥I HEART my Podiatrist♥

After 2.5 months of solid training, I completed my 2nd Half Marathon along with my Dad and friend-Taralie.

My first experience was really neat, but this time around I really enjoyed doing a bigger race for a GREAT cause- Susan G. Komen Foundation.

I recently found out that a mother from Hallie's class, who is a Breast Cancer SURVIVOR, is now fighting through another bout of a different type of cancer. We decided to run in honor of her-Katrina. Even though this was benefiting Susan G. Komen, I will ALWAYS be a TEAM RYAN supporter, cancer is CANCER... so we ran as TEAM RYAN & KATRINA

***

The day before we left, our friend Emily came over to drop off a little pre/post race goodie bag.
Emily has also been training with Taralie and I, but she decided to pass on this race in order to do a race a few weeks later.
*
We arrived in Scottsdale and had to go straight to the Expo to pick up our goodie bag, bib and a few other fun things...
I love how our bibs were personalized... it made for a more FUN race :)

Hallie got this shirt at the Expo
~I LOVE it~

and my dad bought me this shoe charm:
He definitely was my running buddy for the race, but I'm pretty sure I had another running buddy that day too ;)

After getting all our "goods," we headed to our resort. It was so nice to spend the time with my parents and the kids. We went swimming, had a scrumptious pre-race dinner and then it was LIGHTS OUT at 9pm- we had an EARLY morning ahead of us.


We met up bright and early for the 7 am race

GO TEAM Ryan & Katrina

The race had over 4,500 runners, mostly women, who were all running to support the cause. The race had bands playing every 3 miles and had a really neat atmosphere. I loved running among all the PINK boas, tutu's, butterfly wings, hair bows etc.. it was REALLY fun.

However, the race started to be "NOT SO" fun for me around mile 11. I was DONE. I was tired physically and mentally. I SO wanted to stop and walk, but good thing my Dad was there to keep me chugging along. He kept me going those last two miles and then FINALLY we arrived at the finish line- THANKS Dad!!!

The start of the finish line stretch

OUR fan club:

Sadly, I wasn't able to see the kids or my mom as I rounded the HOME stretch, but I DID see a friend from church who belted out a loud, "GOOOO MARRRRRGIE!!!!!!!" to give me that much needed LAST push to the finish line.

I can't describe how sweet the reunion is after you've done a long race and you are reunited with your family. I really missed the kids during my race and I couldn't WAIT to see them. I really look at running much like life... the end may seem FOREVER away, but it IS there. There are definitely harder parts and easier parts, but you can and WILL get through them. You can choose to either complain the entire time or you can make the best of it. When you do finally see the end in sight you realize how insignificant those bumps in the road were along the way because all that matters at the moment is finishing. Most importantly, when you see those loved ones who are waiting for you and cheering you on, it makes it ALL totally worth it.

This was my first time seeing Hallie after the race... I LOVE this picture:


All the kids cared about was the medal. They wanted me to finish so they could get my (as Max calls it) "Golden Medal"

The Half-Marathoners
Taralie purchased these really cute and cool headbands that keep the sweat/hair out of your face...they say:
OPERATION shrink a booty
(I LOVE IT!)


FAMILY



GO TEAM RYAN & KATRINA
(Katrina just finished radiation and will be starting chemo this Tuesday- PLEASE keep her in your thoughts and prayers!!!)

Pink, Pink and MORE Pink

It was SO great to have Mom and Dad here...
Thank you guys for all the LOVE and support!

***

So, I did it Babe, again...
THIS time it was for you and every other fighter out there!

~Loving and missing you ALWAYS~

Photobucket

12 comments:

Mindy Burns said...

Sa.....................weet!!! Good job!!!!!

Cheryl said...

Congratulations! That is great. I love all the pictures. It has always been so fun to go cheer my mom on in her marathons so I like reading about others experiences with long races too. You look great!

Heather said...

That is awesome you were able to do that! I can only get a 1/2 mile before I want to fall over and die! Way to go!

Adrianne Barrett said...

Congratulations! I would have quit after ONE mile :); you are awesome! Best wishes to Katrina.

Usandthings said...

That is so awesome, literally: I'm in awe of you.

Tanya said...

Way to go Margie!!! SO AWESOME! What a neat cause! I know you've got another race right around the corner...... Good luck! Your so inspiring! Also, how is it that you can run a half marathon and still look so stinkin' CUTE at the end of the race.....?

melissa said...

That just gave me chills! What an awesome experience. I would love to run that one next year!

Brooke Hunt (aka Mr. Burns) said...

awesome
amazing
inpiring
...what a great cause!
i love this song too :)

Katelin said...

So, so, so COOL!! Way to go!

Lila said...

i really look forward to meeting you one day. your support system is amazing and you are likewise an amazing supportER. Again you have hooked me up with a tear or two with this post. without explaining i saw the races analogy (sp?) and waterworks began. it will be worth it won't it. I'm sorry your 'race' has been so bumpy these last couple years. while i hope to never have those bumps, i can definately appreciate my journey better through you and treat my husband better, hug my children tighter. thank you.

Jared and Taralie said...

I had so much fun doing that race with you. You did awsome!! Thank you so much for giving me the confidence I needed to do it. Just another way you inspire me! :) LOVE YA!

Heather Bell said...

Congrats!!!